Discovering Eastern Europe
Andrey Makarychev is teaching at the Institute of Government and Politics at University of Tartu. Prior to that he has been Professor of International Relations and Political Science at the Linguistic University and the Public Service Academy (Nizhny Novgorod, Russia). His research interests include Russian foreign policy analysis, international security and regionalism. He was visiting fellow at the Copenhagen Peace Research Institute; Baltic and East European Graduate School, Sodertorn Hogskola (Sweden); Kennan Institute for Advanced Russian Studies (Washington, D.C.); Netherlands Institute for Advanced Studies in Humanities, Wassenaar (NIAS); George Mason University, Fairfax, VA; JFK Institute for North American Studies, Free University of Berlin, and other research institutions.
This Module will focus on the various eras of transformation that we have seen in the past decades. The decolonization movement and the non-aligned movement in the Cold War, the wave of democratization in Latin America in the 1960s, the dissolution of the Soviet Union in the beginning of the 1990s, the recent color revolutions in Eastern Europe, as well as the Arab Spring revolutions will be looked at from a comparative perspective.
- You will be acquainted to the various eras of transformation that could be observed in the past decades.
- You will be enabled to make general statements about the process of social and political change in different eras and regions of the world from a comparative perspective.
- You will be provided with practical skills concerning active participation in controversial discussions, presenting and supporting your own arguments and elaborating a well-structured research paper.
- Submitting three out of four assignments on topics such as Russia's revisionism of the German reunification, Ukraine's reaction to the Riga summit etc.
- Preparing the final research paper. The final paper determines your final grade and can only be submitted if the previous tasks were passed.
- 8 ECTS
- 12 weeks
- 1.195 Euro
- Optional On-site Workshop in October each year