Coping With Global Risks and Uncertainties: Analyzing the Terminologies and Policies
Addressing Policy Issues
Stefan Engert is an associate professor at the University of Konstanz. In his PhD thesis he focused on "Explaining EU Enlargement and Socialistation. Turkey and Cyprus: A Double Puzzle." Stefan Engert has taught in Darmstadt, Munich, Frankfurt/M. as well as Berlin and was a visiting fellow at the University of Birmingham.
This Module provides you with a background on the development of security and risk, analyzing the often contested terminologies and policies that are used within this area. A special focus will be given on the theoretical, empirical and methodological state-of-the-art of conflict management and -resolution and the role of non-state actors and international organizations. You will deal with broad theoretical concepts as well as with practical examples from the recent years.
- You will be familiarized with conventional approaches to security politics as well as with new concepts, their advantages and risks.
- You will get the possibility to discuss and analyze different security mechanisms and their success or failure in different conflicts worldwide.
- You will be provided with practical skills concerning active participating in controversial discussions, presenting and supporting your own arguments, treating complex theoretical and practical questions and developing your own hypothesis.
- Writing an Essay on the Topic “Securitizing Risk” and discussing it with other participants.
- Developing concise research statement on the topic “Explaining War”, presenting it and evaluating critically research statements of other students.
- Preparing the final research paper about a particular conflict, based on your previous work. The final paper can only be submitted if the previous tasks were passed.
- 8 ECTS
- 12 weeks
- 1.195 Euro
- Optional On-site Workshop in October each year